Written by Fiona
20th October, 2017
GOV.UK Verify was introduced to provide a single trusted login across all Government Digital Services. It should take about 15 minutes to verify your identity the first time you use GOV.UK Verify. Any time after that, it should only take a couple of minutes to sign in.
When you use GOV.UK Verify to access a government service, you choose from a list of companies certified to verify your identity. The company you choose will ask you for some personal details. They will check those details against records held by mobile phone providers, HM Passport Office, DVLA or credit agencies. There’s no effect on your credit score. The company will then confirm your identity to the government service you’re using.
Using certified companies makes GOV.UK Verify a safer, simpler and faster way of accessing government services online.
Government services you can use with GOV.UK Verify:
• Apply for a vehicle operator licence, with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
• Report a medical condition that affects your driving, with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
• Renew your short-term medical driving licence (DVLA)
• Check your Income Tax for the current year, with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
• Check your State Pension, with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
• Sign in to your personal tax account (HMRC)
• View or share your driving licence information (DVLA)
• Apply for Universal Credit (DWP)
• Claim for redundancy and monies owed, with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
• Sign in and file your Self Assessment tax return (HMRC)
• Update your rural payments details, with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
• Help friends or family with their tax (HMRC)
• Check or update your company car tax (HMRC)
For further information please visit GOV.UK website