Before you move in
When you're getting ready to move into your new home, we will be busy making sure it is in good condition. Here is what you can expect from us before you move in.
- The property will be clean.
- Any rubbish left by the previous resident will be removed from the property as will any furniture or other items. The previous residents can leave certain items such as carpets and curtains, provided they are in good condition and you would like to keep them, but you will need to sign for these.
- All internal doors will be checked to ensure they are in good working order.
- Internal wood work will be checked and any damage repaired.
- Front and rear door locks will be new. You will be given two sets of keys for the front and rear doors on sign up. One key for service cupboards and other locked items will also be provided.
- All windows will have been checked to ensure they open, close and seal properly. Glazing will be changed if defective. Window restrictors will also be checked where fitted. Keys will be provided for window locks, where present.
- Floors will be checked for cleanliness and safety. Unsafe coverings will be replaced in kitchens and bathrooms. Carpets will be left by agreement only.
- We will check the loft space to ensure adequate insulation is present and upgrade this where necessary.
- The rainwater goods will be checked visually from the ground and any leaking or otherwise defective areas will be repaired.
- We will not routinely redecorate properties before you move in, but we will issue a decorating pack if you require one and we have not already decorated the property (as sometimes it is necessary for us to decorate).
When it comes to safety:
- We will check any gas appliances and repair or replace as required. If a Gas Safety Inspection is required within 2 months of the date when the property becomes vacant we will carry out this formal inspection. A copy of the gas certificate (CP12) will be provided to you on sign up.
- We will undertake a test of the electrical systems if the current certificate expires within 2 years of the date of letting. Switches, sockets, light fittings and other electrical devices will be checked and replaced if defective.
- The incoming mains water will be checked to ensure it is functioning correctly.
- The heating system and hot water system will be checked to ensure it is functioning correctly.
- Smoke alarms will be checked and replaced if defective.
- We will fit a Carbon Monoxide detector if one is not already present.
- We will ensure that the property is checked for the presence of asbestos. If asbestos is present we will inform you how we intend to manage it to ensure your safety is not compromised.
In your kitchen and bathrooms:
- The kitchen will be clean and functional with all doors and drawers working and handles installed where necessary. Worktops will be safely fixed and clean. A splash back to worktops will be provided around the sink area.
- The sink will be checked to ensure that the taps and drainage works effectively and there are no leaks.
- The bath, sink and shower (where installed) will be checked to ensure that the taps and drainage work effectively and there are no leaks.
- We will check that the toilet flush is working correctly and we will replace the toilet seat where it is defective or cannot be cleaned.
- We will ensure that the shower, where fitted, is working correctly.
- We will replace any shower curtain where it is dirty or damaged.
In your garden:
- Any rubbish will be removed from the garden and outbuildings.
- We will remove any greenhouses and lean-tos except where they are in good condition and you wish to keep them. The upkeep of such items will become your responsibility, and you will need to sign a disclaimer.
- We will ensure all boundary fencing and walls are in good condition.
- We will ensure all paths and steps are safe and in good condition.
- We will ensure a rotary or other washing line is provided in the garden (or in the communal area in a sheltered housing scheme).