Anti-social behaviour and hate crime

How we can help

Anti-social behaviour has a huge impact on the lives of people and the communities they live in. We have a zero-tolerance approach to incidents of ASB and hate crime, and have a specialist team in-house who are on hand to deal with it. The team has a great track record in taking legal action and tackling ASB and hate crime.

What is anti-social behaviour?

  • Excessive and persistent noise nuisance
  • Abusive, threatening or violent behaviour
  • Drug use or drug dealing
  • Criminal behaviour
  • Harassment
  • Vandalism

(These are just some of the types of ASB)

What is a hate crime?

If you are experiencing harassment, intimidation or someone is being aggressive towards you based on your nationality, ethnic origin, colour, political or religious beliefs, sexuality, age or disability then you are experiencing hate crime.

We can help by:

  • Investigating any complaints thoroughly
  • Showing you how you can help us to complete our investigations
  • Depending on the information or evidence we have, we will use a range of legal and non-legal ways to tackle the antisocial behaviour
  • Working with other agencies
  • Let you know if we are unable to take action and why

What you can do:

When you signed your tenancy agreement with us you promised to be responsible for the behaviour of everyone living in or visiting your home. All we ask is to be a good neighbour and ask wherever possible to sort things out between you and your neighbours – sometimes all it needs is a brief and calm conversation to sort issues out. So while we take reports of ASB seriously, wherever possible you should try talking to the person involved first before calling us. They may not be aware that their behaviour is having a negative impact on your life. If this isn’t possible or doesn’t work then the next step is to speak to our Community Safety Team, who will be able to offer advice and support.

For help in dealing with Hate Crime visit the Dewis Cymru website

Your Community Safety Team will deal with:

  • Harassment
  • Verbal abuse
  • Intimidation
  • Drunken behaviour
  • Criminal Behaviour (where there is Police evidence)
  • Noise nuisance (e.g. barking dogs)
  • Hate-related incidents

They won’t deal with:

  • Children playing in the street or arguing;
  • Everyday household events such as; flushing toilets, cooking smells, smoking in own home, washing machines, babies crying or playing;
  • Staring or looking at someone;
  • Pets straying across your garden;
  • One-off noise nuisance such as a one-off party or BBQ;
  • Personal disputes where no breach of tenancy can be proven;
  • Problems arising from a conflict of lifestyles, such as shift work.

How to report ASB to us

You can report anti-social behaviour to us in the following ways:

  • Fill in the form to the right of this page (choose the 'Report anti-social behaviour' option from the drop-down);
  • Use the chat facility at the bottom of this page;
  • Email us at
  • Call us on 01495 745910 
  • or text us on 07860 027935

Here are some other useful contacts that you may find you need:

  • Police non-emergency number: 101
  • All Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 80 10 800
  • Crimestoppers 0800 555 111
  • Connect Gwent  0300 123 21 33
  • Live Fear Free 0808 80 10 800
For social services and environmental health (including noise), contact your relevant local authority.
  • Monmouthshire County Council: 01633 644644
  • Torfaen County Borough Council: 01495 762200
  • Newport City Council: 01633 656656
  • Blaenau Gwent Council: 01495 311556
  • Powys County Council: 01597 826000

If you are reporting noise nuisance then we strongly recommend that you use the Noise App which instantly records the noise on your phone and sends the report to the officer dealing with your complaint.


If your concerns are more serious and immediate, we advise you to call the police and/or emergency services on 999

Our promise to you

If you report ASB then the community safety team will keep things confidential. We will make sure you know the name of the officer dealing with your problem and will respond to non-urgent issues within two working days and urgent issues within one working day. If you are reporting a criminal incident, then we will need Police evidence in order to progress the matter.

If you have reported an incident of ASB and you’re unhappy with how it’s being dealt with then the community trigger may be useful for you.
If you have reported an incident three or more times within a six month period and not received a satisfactory response, you can activate the Community Trigger (also known as ASB Case Review) through your Local Authority. Click here to go to the ASB Help website.


In association with