Back to Rent, money and bills

Council Tax

An illustration of a calculator and a house

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is charged by your Local Authority to contribute towards services which they provide, such as waste collection and local libraries. The amount of Council Tax you pay is determined by where you live and the value of your home.

Do you have to pay Council Tax?

Everyone who is over the age of 18 and owns or rents their home needs to pay Council Tax for their household. If you live on your own, you will be eligible for a 25% discount in your Council Tax bill.

Some people don’t count as adults towards Council Tax. They are:

  • Children under 18;
  • People on some apprentice schemes;
  • 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education;
  • Full-time college and university students;
  • Young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency;
  • Student nurses;
  • Foreign language assistants registered with the British Council;
  • People with a severe mental impairment;
  • Live-in carers who look after someone who is not their partner, spouse, or child under 18.

If no one in the household counts as an adult, then your Council Tax bill will be reduced by 50%. Households made up of full-time students do not need to pay any Council Tax.

If you are unsure about whether you should be paying Council Tax or be in receipt of a reduction, then contact your Local Authority.

Remember: all households must set up a Council Tax account with their Local Authority, even if they do not need to pay Council Tax. The Local Authority does not automatically know your circumstances, so it is important to contact them when you move home, or when your household circumstances change.

An illustration of a finger pressing a button for more information

How to find information from your Local Authority

We’ve provided direct links to each council’s Council Tax information page. Just find the Local Authority you live in below.

How to pay your Council Tax bill

There are a few different ways to pay your Council Tax. These include via Direct Debit, bank transfer, cheque or at a Local Authority cash office. Please contact your Local Authority to find out more information.

If you can’t afford to pay Council Tax

It is very important that we all pay the correct Council Tax. Failure to pay is a criminal offence and people have received prison sentences for not paying Council Tax.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax or believe that you should receive a discount or exemption, then please get in touch with Melin Advice and we can provide you with further assistance.

You may find these pages helpful