Back to Your home

Moving to sheltered housing or extra care accommodation

An illustration of an armchair and footstool

If you feel that you are unable to continue living in your home and would like to live somewhere with some additional help, we can offer two options.

Moving to a sheltered housing scheme

If you are interested in moving to sheltered housing accommodation and you meet the age criteria of being 55+ you will need to apply to the housing register for the local authority area.

Living at our sheltered housing or extra care schemes

Each scheme has a Scheme Manager, who manages the accommodation day-to-day; providing housing management services; they are a point of contact for residents to check on welfare; help with queries; and they will work with residents to create a vibrant, inclusive and welcoming place to live.

Door entry systems

Our schemes have either a secure door entry system or door intercom system so residents feel safe in their homes and can control who they give access to.

Guest rooms

All our schemes have a guest bedroom that relatives can use when visiting residents. These are bookable through the Scheme Manager.

Communal facilities

Our schemes have communal lounges and/or communal seating areas for residents to enjoy including outdoor seating areas at most schemes. Scheme Managers work with residents and our Communities Team to arrange social and wellbeing events at our schemes.

Some of our schemes have a car park and charging/storage space for mobility scooters.

Our extra care schemes have all the above, plus on-site care staff commissioned by the local authority. Care teams work closely with Melin’s Extra Care Co-ordinators at our accommodation to meet residents’ housing and care needs.

If you would like any more information please get in touch.

Moving to extra care accommodation

When applying for our extra care accommodation you would be required to complete a Social Care Assessment, please contact your Local Authority to arrange for this to be carried out.

All properties are allocated via an allocation panel process.

If you have any queries about the process or would like to visit one of our schemes before making an application, please contact us and our Independent Living team will be happy to help.

You may find these pages helpful