Cookie Policy This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Privacy Page

Back to Antisocial behaviour

Domestic abuse

In an emergency

In an emergency call 999.

  • If you are in immediate danger, always call 999 and ask for the Police.
  • If you’re in danger and can’t speak, you can make a silent 999 call, when the operator answers you may be asked to cough or tap the keys on your phone to answer questions.

Call 999 from a mobile – If you don’t speak or answer questions, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the Police. Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and doesn’t allow police to track your location. If you don’t press 55 your call will be ended.

Call 999 from a landline – If you don’t speak or answer questions and the operator can only hear background noise, they’ll transfer your call to the Police. If you replace the handset, the landline may remain connected for 45 seconds in case you pick it up again. Calling 999 from a landline automatically gives the police information about your location.

  • For support contact the Live Fear Free Helpline on 0808 801 0800, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Impact of domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can affect people and communities and leave a devastating impact on survivors, their families, and the wider community. It can affect men and women of any age, from any culture or religion. It can happen in within the family, or within a heterosexual or same sex relationship (or not in a relationship at all). Victims may live with or apart from their abuser.

Domestic abuse can take many forms, for example, physical, psychological, emotional, or sexual.

What to do if you are affected

If you are Melin resident and you are experiencing domestic abuse and would like advice and support, please contact us on 01495 745910 or by emailing Your enquiry will be dealt with by a trained member of staff, in a confidential, non-judgemental way.

If you are at risk of homelessness and require emergency assistance, please contact your local authority’s Housing Options Team or the Live Fear Free Helpline.