Cookie Policy This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Privacy Page

Back to Rent, money and bills

Universal Credit

An illustration of a calculator

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment of benefit for people in or out of work. It replaced six benefits: Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

How can I check if I am eligible for Universal Credit?

You can find out what benefits you may be eligible for, including Universal Credit, by using an online benefits calculator. National charity, Turn2Us has a benefits calculator on its website that you can access on its website that you can access.

How can I claim Universal Credit?

To make a claim for Universal Credit, please visit the UK Government’s Universal Credit website.

We ask that Melin residents contact us before making a claim for Universal Credit. This allows our specialist advisors to assist you with your claim to make sure that you receive all of the benefits you are entitled to.

What information do I need to claim Universal Credit?

You will need the following information in order to make a claim for Universal Credit:

  • Your National Insurance number and your partner’s National Insurance number.
  • Your postcode
  • Your email address (you can’t claim without one)
  • Your phone number (landline or mobile)
  • Melin Homes’ address: Melin Homes, Tŷ’r Felin, Lower Mill Fields, Pontypool, Torfaen NP4 0XJ
  • Your rent (contact us if you’re not sure of the correct amount)
  • Your tenancy start date
  • Details of any children/relatives/other people who live with you, including their name, date of birth, relationship to you and income
  • Details of any savings
  • Details of any other money you receive
  • The name and address of your bank, your account number and sort code

How can I manage my claim and receive my benefits?

All Universal Credit claims are managed via an online portal. Universal Credit can be paid into a bank or Credit Union account. You will need to set one up to receive Universal Credit. Payments are made once a month and it can take five to six weeks to receive your first payment.

Does Universal Credit include help towards the cost of Council Tax?

No, but you can make a separate claim to your Local Authority for assistance with Council Tax.

What can affect my entitlement to Universal Credit?

There are several things which can affect your entitlement to Universal Credit. If your circumstances change in any of the ways described below, you should immediately contact the department you are claiming Universal Credit from.

Changes in circumstances can include:

  • Change in working hours
  • Bereavement
  • Found fit for work so Employment and support Allowance stops
  • Relationship starts or ends
  • Loss of job
  • Birth of a child
  • Youngest child turns five
  • Becoming a carer
  • Making a new claim for Housing Benefit
  • Moving from one Local Authority to another

Can you help me with my existing Universal Credit claim?

Yes, we are keen to hear from residents who want help with Universal Credit. Our Melin Advice specialists can offer you a range of advice, information and guidance covering benefits, finance, employability and well-being.

You may find these pages helpful