Your home

Keeping your home in tip-top condition is really important to us and we know it is to you as well. That's why we're always improving them and keeping them running as smoothly as possible. Sometimes things do go wrong and you will need to let us know when they do, so here's how:

Reporting your repair is easy and we have lots of ways for you to do that:

  • By logging into your account.
  • By using the form on the right of this page 
  • By email
  • Contacting us via Facebook or Twitter.
  • By text: 07860 027935 (make sure you include your house number, postcode and brief decription of the problem)
  • By phone: 01495 745910 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Before you contact us though please make sure you try and assess what your type of repair is.

Is my repair an emergency?
A repair emergency is one that could cause danger to your health or serious damage to your home, eg flooding, electrical failure or full central heating breakdown in sever weather (October to March). If you think your repair is an emergency, we will make it safe the same day, and carry out any further work during normal working hours.

Is my repair urgent?
An urgent repair is something like a leaking toilet or lack of hot water, if your repair is along these llines then we will complete it within seven days.

Is my repair routine?
This is something that is not likely to cause any damage to your home or effect your health, this could be blocked gutters or if your kitchen door has fallen off. If this is your type of repair, we will complete it within 28 days.

Out of hours, emergency only: 01495 325333 (Any call out that is not an emergency will be re-charged to the tenant.)

Gas leaks are to be reported immediately to Transco, on 0800 111 999.

See our repair service standards.

Some common questions we have been asked

Q. Will you come and change my lightbulb?
A. We only change lightbulbs in communal areas.

Q. I have a problem with rats.
A. You need to contact your local Council as they deal with pest control, but also contact Melin to let us know where they are entering the property.

Q. There is a wasp nest.
A. We will only treat wasp nests if they are attached to the property (this doesn’t include sheds)

Q. My sink or toilet is blocked.
A. We ask residents to try sink/ toilet unblocker first before we will attend. If we visit you and the problem has been caused by food, hair, wet wipes etc then we will recharge you the cost of the call out.

Anti-social behaviour

We take a firm but fair stance in incidents of serious anti-social behaviour and we will give you support to deal with any neighbourhood dispute before it gets worse.

Serious anti-social behaviour:

  • Any hate related incident about a person’s race, sexual orientation, gender, religion,disability or age.
  • Physical violence e.g. physical abuse,assault, fighting
  • Drug use or dealing
  • Arson
  • Criminal Offences and Domestic Abuse (where a conviction has been made)

Your Community Safety Team will deal with other anti-social behaviour such as:

  • Pestering people
  • Menacing gestures
  • Street Drinking and drunken behaviour
  • Misuse of Communal Areas or Public Space
  • Inappropriate use of fireworks
  • Setting fires (not directed at specific persons or property)
  • Criminal behaviour (where there is Police evidence)
  • Loud music
  • Noise nuisance other e.g. pets

We will not deal with any of the following:

  • Children playing in the street.
  • Children arguing.
  • Events in the home such as; flushing toilets,cooking smells, smoking in own home,washing machines, babies crying or playing.
  • Staring or looking at someone.
  • Pets straying across garden areas.
  • One off noise nuisance such as a one-off party or BBQ.
  • Parked vehicles causing an obstruction (unless the Police have confirmed that a genuine obstruction has taken place).
  • Personal disputes where no breech of tenancy can be proven.
  • Problems arising from conflict of lifestyles, such as shift work.

Please report any anti-social behaviour to us via the contact form on the right. Our Community Safety Team responds to high level complaints within 24 hours (excluding non-working days). You may find it helpful to complete our incident diary, which will allow you to record everything that happens, or for noise complaints our diary of disturbances.  Please be aware that these may be used in any resulting court cases.

Try talking

Often these issues can be sorted out before they escalate by calmly talking to your neighbours as they may not be aware that their behaviour is bothering you.

Anti-Social Behaviour Policy

We have recently completed an extensive survey on our Anti-Social Behaviour policy. We are in the process of collating all your feedback and will provide information on relevant policy changes in the near future. Keep a Look out for this information on our website and in Melin News.

Ring 101

You can always ring the police's non-emergency hot-line number, 101 to report any instance of anti-social behaviour. If the situation is very serious, urgent or life-threatening, you must call the emergency services on 999.

Moving on

If you wish to end your tenancy you must give us four weeks notice. The notice starts on the Monday after we have received your request, for example if we receive your letter on Tuesday your notice would be four weeks from the following Monday. Please let us know if you wish to end your tenancy via the contact form on the right. Once you have told us that you wish to end your tenancy we will arrange for one of our Housing Officers and Maintenance Officers to visit you. We do this so that you have an opportunity to ask any questions about your move.

Find out how you can get a £100 cashback for being an excellent tenant when you end your tenancy through our golden handshake scheme.


What happens if there is damage to the property?
The property needs to be returned to us in a suitable condition for the next resident to move in. The Maintenance Officer will discuss any items that might need attention during the end of tenancy visit. You may be charged if the damage is found to be your fault.

What if I owe money to Melin?
We will make every attempt to help you clear the debt by agreeing for you to pay by installments. If no attempt at repayment is made we will make every effort to retrieve the debt and will give an unsatisfactory financial reference to any enquiry from future landlords.

What if I want to leave before the agreed date?
If you want to return your keys early and we are able to re-let your home before the end of your notice period, you will not have to pay any rent after the date that the new tenancy starts. However, if you don’t return your keys until after the agreed tenancy end date stated on the letter, you will be charged a week’s rent and this will continue until we are in a position to take back the property.

Can I leave items at the property when I move?
When you move out, all your belongings and furnishings should be removed. The only time you will be able to leave items is when it is felt that the incoming resident would benefit from them and it has been agreed with us. We will dispose of anything left at the property that has not been agreed with us and you will be charged for the costs of removing these items.