You, us and UC

We know that Universal Credit can be a bit tricky to understand, so we've posted a helpful explainer below. Should you need any help, our Money Advice team are always here to help.

Important: Do you receive Universal Credit?

Have you updated your online journal informing them of rent increase effective from 2nd April 2018. You can sign in to your Universal Credit account at the GOV.UK website.


So, what is UC?

UC, or Universal Credit, is a single monthly payment paid in arrears, made up of six individual benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance


What changes between you and us?

You will need to pay your rent to us. But you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax help directly with your local authority.


How can you prepare?

You will need to be able to register (at GOV.UK), claim and deal with UC.

You should make sure you have a bank account. UC can be paid into a Current Account, Basic Bank Account, Credit Union Account, Post Office Card Account or Prepaid Card Account. If you don’t have one, it can be done online or in a branch. If you’re not sure, talk to a staff member at any bank about which account is best for you.


What next?

Once you’ve made your claim, you’ll have to go to the Job Centre for an interview, provide documents and sign paperwork.


What to do if you're struggling?

We can help! We have a trained team of money advisors in our Income & Inclusion team. We want you to talk to us, we can’t help if we don’t know. There are lots of other organisations who can help; Turn2us, The Money Advice Service, Citizens Advice, National Debtline and Step Change.