Annual Report 2020
The year from April 2019 to March 2020 was another busy one and work progressed with no knowledge of how all our lives were about to change as the Coronavirus Pandemic was still in its early stages. Staff have worked hard to make a difference to our residents’ lives and the communities they live in. Read on to see how we have made a positive impact.
Development & Homebuy
Our Development team has had one of their busiest years to date. They find land and build affordable new homes so that we can continue to provide for those in housing need…
During 2019/20 the Melin Development team delivered the following:
- They’ve started on site with 355 new homes
- Completed 139 new homes
- Last year the team sold 63 Homebuy properties with an open market value of £11 million.
- They drew down £9.6m worth of grant funding. Added to this Melin invested approximately
This team works tirelessly to support our residents manage their rent payments and so much more. They help people into work, to get online, and to claim benefits if they’re eligible, as well as to budget well and save money on energy. By helping to keep people in their homes they are working towards building resilient communities.
- They saved residents an incredible £2.5m through accessing money and energy-saving advice
- They’ve accessed £52,591 (and 7p!) of savings and grants for residents on their energy deal
- They’ve helped residents gain £2,506,426 through grants or reductions in payments
- They helped 52 people into employment
- Our team have helped 26 people with driving support. This ranges from buying a provisional licence; helping with the highway code book and DVD; to funding a set of driving lessons.
Independent Living is a team dedicated to providing homes and services to older and more vulnerable residents. They provide opportunities to live a vibrant, supported, and independent later life. The team has…
- Worked in partnership with Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, Torfaen Council and Cartrefi to give nine residents flats in supported living homes.
- Provided supported living homes to five residents by working in partnership with the Health Board (ABUHB), Blaenau Gwent Council and Dimensions.
- Refurbished our sheltered housing scheme at Hammett Court – our fourth scheme to be refurbished as part of a 10-year investment plan.
- Finalised the investment plan for Tredegar Court to demolish and rebuild a new block of modern, affordable sheltered housing flats.
Our dedicated and friendly tradespeople are always out and about – even at Christmas. Our electricians, multi skilled operatives, and plumbing and gas engineers always provide excellent services to our residents.
- The team completed 2,994 gas services, 3,312 emergency repairs, and 12,115 routine repairs
- The average number of days to complete a routine job this year was just 16 days (down from last year which was 25 days)
- 89% of routine jobs completed in target, compared to 72% last year
- 80.9% of residents said they were satisfied with our maintenance service
This busy team provides endless opportunities for our residents to get to know Melin and have their say. They help residents to get the most out of Melin.
- They have engaged with over 1,650 residents at 155 community events
- The Melin bus has been used on over 100 occasions giving residents the chance to try new things (such as fishing trips); combat loneliness through days out; to bringing fun days to our neighbourhoods. It has also been used by our partners such as Mind, Stroke Association and some of the schools we work with.
- The team has also donated over £3,000 to local community groups (from Jump2 and community donations)
- They created the Gardening ’19 project with 46 staff members to help out with gardening work at our sheltered schemes
- Thanks to the team helping so many residents to get involved, the social value from engagement totals £625,000
- They have also run successful projects aimed at combatting isolation, including the Taste for Life project where residents created a book of poetic verses by reminiscing and discussing past experiences with author Mike Church.
- Only Melin Aloud – the choir featuring residents from four different sheltered schemes and two other residents met every two weeks for a sing-along with musical director Ali Shone.
- The team’s annual staff quiz night raised £1,612 for our charity of the year St David’s Hospice Care.
- Four sheltered schemes took part in the Standing Together project which aims to boost mental health and combat isolation.
- Our residents’ feedback group 100 Voices was created
- 18 staff took part in the Fit and Fed project in Newport, aimed at combatting youth food poverty and inactivity in school holidays.