World Mental Health Day
October 10th is World Mental Health Day and the theme this year is ‘Make mental health and wellbeing for all a global priority’. Mental health problems exist in our lives, our friends and families’ lives, our communities and our workplaces, they impact all of us, however we can all play a part in preventing mental ill health.
Written by Sam—
10 Oct, 2022
Melin has joined Welsh Government’s movement to end the stigma around mental health problems by signing up to the Time To Change Wales initiative.
Signing the pledge isn’t a throw away signature from us, it has shaped our policies and processes and has led to initiatives which have had a positive impact for our staff.
In this video you will see how, since signing the pledge in 2014, we have acknowledged that we can have a positive impact on our staff, and the services they provide our residents, by making a focus on mental well-being something that is part of our DNA. Staff know that it is ok, not to be ok, but more than that, they feel safe to say so, and they know that there are resources available to them which may help.
Watch the video
For help and support the Time to Change Wales website has several useful resources - Resources | Time to Change Wales
If you or someone you know needs help with their mental health, support is available. Here is a list of agencies and organizations in the area who may be able to help;
- Mind Free mental health support - Mind
- SilverCloud is an online course which offers support for anxiety, depression, and much more, all based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Anyone aged 16 or over can sign up at nhswales.silvercloudhealth.com/signup/.
- Provides a confidential mental health listening and emotional support line which is open 24/7. CALL can also signpost to support in local communities and a range of online information. Call 0800132737, text “help” to 81066 or visit callhelpline.org.uk/.
- There is also support for eating disorders, self-help guides for dealing with depression and anxiety, as tips for becoming more active on the NHS 111 Mental Health and Wellbeing website here NHS 111 Wales - Health A-Z : Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Essential mental health support for people aged 25 and under, can be found at The Mix Speak To Our Team | Support For Mental Health & Other Issues | The Mix
- Melo Cymru Melo Cymru - Mental Health & Wellbeing Resources, Courses & Support
- For help with suicidal thoughts visit thecalmzone.net
- The Mental Health Foundation has a wealth of information on its website – mentalhealth.org.uk