Legal and regulatory content
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) urges heads of organisations and government departments to sign up to the Personal Information Promise, to demonstrate their organisation’s senior level commitment to data protection. The aims of the initiative are to improve compliance with the Act and strengthen public trust and confidence in those who are entrusted with their personal information.
The promise lists a number of key commitments that senior figures will make on behalf of their organisations to protect personal information.
Our personal information promise
Here is our promise that I, Paula Kennedy, Chief Executive, on behalf of Melin Homes promise that we will:
- Value the personal information that you trust us with and make sure we respect that trust;
- Go further than just the letter of the law when it comes to handling your information, and adopt good practice standards;
- Consider and address the privacy risks first when we are planning to use or hold personal information in new ways, such as when introducing new systems;
- Be open with you about how we use your information and who we give it to;
- Make it easy for you to access and correct your personal information;
- Keep your information to the minimum necessary and delete it when we don’t need it;
- Make sure your information is kept securely and does not fall into the wrong hands;
- Provide training to our staff who handle personal information and treat it as a disciplinary matter if they misuse or don’t look after personal information properly;
- Put appropriate financial and human resources into looking after your information to make sure we can live up to our promises;
- Regularly check that we are living up to our promises and report on how we are doing.