Universal Credit: What you need to know
Universal Credit is replacing the a number of benefits and tax credits with one single monthly payment.
Ysgrifennwyd gan Marcus—
08 Medi, 2017
If you are or, intend to claim any “in work”, or “out of work” benefit, you may be affected by Universal Credit. Universal Credit Full Service is now live in Torfaen.
The biggest changes are:
- On line application ( not in the local job centre office)
- Changes will be reported on line
- Help to pay your rent will be included in your UC claim (no more housing benefit!)
- One system, one claim ( no separate claims for children ect)
- One payment, once a month, in arrears
Other local authorities will follow:
o Nov 2017 Newport
o Mar 2018 Monmouthshire
o Apr 2018 Blaenau Gwent
o Jun 2018 Powys
If you are, or intend to claim UC, you may not receive a payment for up to 6 weeks, please contact our Income and Inclusion team, who can help you with;
• An advance payment
• Budgeting advice
• Alternative payment ( housing costs paid to landlord)
• Getting on line
If you are claiming UC or need any advice about UC, please contact the team urgently, as your rent is payable weekly in advance on a Monday.